The Palestinian equation

Palestine was a region under the Turkish Ottoman Empire which, after World War I, became the property of Britain. The Holocaust triggered demands from the Zionist movement for a state for the Jewish people. The UN General Assembly supports the Partition Plan for Palestine, and on 14 May 1948 creation of the State of Israel is proclaimed. The next day the 1st Arab-Israeli War breaks out. Israel wins and appropriates 78% of the territory (more than it had been assigned by the UN). The remaining 22% is divided between the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The following years in the sixties and seventies are marked by several wars between Arabs and Israelis and by the peace treaties with Egypt, in exchange for return of the Sinai region.

The occupation of Palestine territory by Israel has continued with the policy of Jewish settlements in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, respectively governed by the Palestinian National Authority and by Hamas. These wars, together with Israel's military operations in Gaza and the West Bank (the last one in 2021), have taken 100,000 human lives in addition to having driven 5.6 million refugees into Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. Meanwhile, the Israeli Government has approved segregationist laws for the almost 2 million Arabs who live in Israel.

The solutions proposed to date range from a state with two nationalities; two states with Jerusalem as a shared capital-state; and even three states: Gaza, the West Bank and Israel. All of these solutions pose almost insuperable difficulties in this age-old conflict which for the time being seems to be an equation impossible to solve.


Film:Fadia's Tree